Cultural Transmission and Social Norms
Max Planck Institute for Collective Goods
Phone: +49 228 91416-857
The following provides mandatory data concerning the provider of this website, obligations with regard to data protection, as well as other important legal references involving the Internet site of the Max Planck Society (https://www.mpg.de) as required by German law.
The provider of this Internet site within the legal meaning of the term is the registered association Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V.
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V.
Phone: +49 89 2108-0
Register of Societies and Associations
The Max Planck Society is registered in the Official Register of Societies and Associations at Berlin-Charlottenburg Local Court under the register number VR 13378 B.
The Max Planck Society is legally represented by its Board of Directors which, in turn, is represented by the President of the Society, Prof. Dr. Martin Stratmann and by Secretary General Rüdiger Willems.
Value Added Tax Identification Number
The value added tax identification number of the Max Planck Society is DE 129517720.
Responsible editor for the contents of the institute’s website with regard to media law:
Max-Planck-Institut zur Erforschung von Gemeinschaftsgütern
The Max Planck Society is a non-profit research facility which is organized as a registered association. All of the institutes and facilities of the Max Planck Society are largely autonomous in terms of organization and research, but as a rule have no legal capacity of their own.
Foreign Language Pages
To the extent that parts of this Internet site are offered in languages other than German, this represents a service exclusively for staff and guests of the Max Planck Society who are not proficient in German.
Liability for Contents of Online Information
As the provider of contents in accordance with Section 7 Paragraph 1 of the Tele-Media Law, the Max Planck Society shall be responsible for any contents which it makes available for use in accordance with general legal provisions. The Max Planck Society makes every effort to provide timely and accurate information on this Web site. Nevertheless, errors and inaccuracies cannot be completely ruled out. Therefore, the Max Planck Society does not assume any liability for the relevance, accuracy, completeness or quality of the information provided. The Max Planck Society shall not be liable for damage of a tangible or intangible nature caused directly or indirectly through the use or failure to use the information offered and/or through the use of faulty or incomplete information unless it is verifiably culpable of intent or gross negligence. The same shall apply to any downloadable software available free of charge. The Max Planck Society reserves the right to modify, supplement, or delete any or all of the information offered on its Internet site, or to temporarily or permanently cease publication thereof without prior and separate notification.
Links to Internet Sites of Third Parties
This Internet site includes links to external pages. These external links are designated as follows: . The respective provider shall be responsible for the contents of any linked external pages. In establishing the initial link, the Max Planck Society has reviewed the respective external content in order to determine whether such link entailed possible civil or criminal responsibility. However, a constant review of linked external pages is unreasonable without concrete reason to believe that a violation of the law may be involved. If the Max Planck Society determines such or it is pointed out by others that an external offer to which it is connected via a link entails civil or criminal responsibility, then the Max Planck Society will immediately eliminate any link to this offer. The Max Planck Society expressly dissociates itself from such contents.
The layout, graphics employed and any other contents on the homepage of the Max Planck Society Internet site are protected by copyright law.
© Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V., Munich. All rights reserved.
- Front Page Header: Sunrise above the snow-covered city centre of Bonn, Germany, Matthias Zepper, https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Zepper-sunrise-over-the-niveous-city-of-bonn.jpg
- Previous Conferences, Cambridge 2018 Venue: MIT Sloan School of Managaement, Vitor Pamplona, https://www.flickr.com/photos/vitorpamplona/5270994965
Data Protection Information
The Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V. (MPG) takes the protection of your personal data very seriously. We process personal data gathered when visiting our websites in compliance with applicable data protection legislation. We neither publish your data nor transmit them to third parties on an unauthorized basis.
In the following section, we explain which data we record when you visit one of our websites, and exactly how they are utilized:
A General information
- Scope of data processing: As a matter of principle, we gather and utilize users‘ personal data only to the extent required to ensure the functioning of our website and of our contents and services. The gathering and utilization of our users‘ personal data normally occurs after users have granted their consent. An exception occurs where data processing is legally permitted.
- Legal basis of data processing: To the extent that permission of the affected individual is obtained for the processing of personal data, Article 6 (1) lit. a of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) serves as the legal basis.In the processing of personal data to fulfil a contract whose contractual party is the individual affected, Article 6 (1) lit. b GDPR serves as the legal basis. This also applies to processing required to implement pre-contractual measures.If processing is required to safeguard the justified interest of the MPG or a third party and the interests, basic rights and basic freedoms of the affected individual do not outweigh the first-mentioned interest, Article 6 (1) lit. f GDPR serves as the basis for such processing.
- Data deletion and storage duration: The affected individual’s personal data are deleted or blocked as soon as the purpose of the storage ceases to apply. Storage can also occur if provided for by European or national legislators in EU regulations, acts or other legislation to which the MPG is subject. A blocking or deletion of data then occurs only if a storage period prescribed by one of the aforementioned norms expires, unless a necessity exists in relation to the further storage of the data for the arrangement of a contract or the fulfilment of a contract.
- Contact details of individuals responsible: The entity responsible in the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation and other national data protection acts as well as other data protection legislation is the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V. (MPG) (Hofgartenstrasse 8,D-80539 Munich, Telephone: +49 (89) 2108-0)
- Data protection Officer’s contact details: The Data Protection Officer at the entity responsible is Heidi Schuster: Hofgartenstrasse 8, D-80539 Munich, Telephone: +49 (89) 2108-1554, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
B Provision of the website and creation of log files
Each time you visit our website, our service and applications automatically record data and information from the computer system of the visiting computer. The following data are gathered temporarily:
- Your IP address
- Date and time of your access to the website
- Address of the page visited
- Address of the previously visited website (referrer)
- Name and version of your browser/operating system (if transmitted)
These data are stored in our systems‘ log files. These data are not stored together with the user’s other personal data.The legal basis for the temporary saving of data and log files is Article 6 (1) lit. f GDPR. Storage occurs in log files in order to ensure the website’s functionality. The data also help us optimize the websites, eliminate malfunctions and ensure our IT system security. Our justified interest in data processing pursuant to Article 6 (1) lit. f GDPR also lies in such purposes. The data are deleted as soon as they are no longer required to achieve the purpose for which they were gathered. If data are gathered for the provision of the website, this is the case if the respective visit is ended. In the instance that data are stored in log files, this is the case after seven days at the latest. Storage above and beyond this period is possible. In this case, the users‘ IP addresses are deleted or removed so they can no longer be allocated to the visiting client.The recording of data for the provision of the website and the storage of data in log files is essential to operate the website. As a consequence, users do not have an option to revoke such data recording.
C Web Analysis
Our website utilizes cookies to collect various information on your computer and transmit it to us automatically. Each time you visit our websites, our system records the following data and information from the visiting computer’s computer system:
- IP address, anonymized by shortening
- Previously visited URL (referrer), if communicated by the browser
- Name and version of the operating system
- Name, version and language setting of the browser
Data are stored and evaluated exclusively on a central server operated by MPG. The legal basis for the processing of users‘ personal data is Article 6 (1) lit. f GDPR. Processing of users‘ personal data enables us to analyze our users‘ utilization behaviour. The evaluation of the data we obtain enables us to aggregate information about the utilization of our websites‘ individual components. This helps us constantly improve our websites and their user-friendliness. Our justified interest in data processing pursuant to Article 6 (1) lit. f GDPR also lies in such purposes. The anonymization of the IP address sufficiently takes into consideration users‘ interest in the protection of their personal data.The data are deleted after the formation of the conclusive annual sums for access statistics. It goes without saying that you are able to revoke data gathering. You have the following independent possibilities to revoke data recording by the central server:
In your browser, activate the do-not-track or do-not-follow settings. If these settings are active, our central server will not store any data relating to you. Important: The do-not-track instruction generally applies only for the device and browser in which you activate the setting. If you utilize several devices/browsers, you will need to separately activate do-not-track in all relevant locations.